1. Understand the purpose of a ministerial credential:
- To affirm (not bestow) God’s call upon your life
- To verify that you meet the qualifications and standards for ministry in The Evangelical Free Church of America
- To approve you for ministerial service of the EFCA
- To provide legal status in the exercise of your ministry (the IRS looks for a nationally recognized credential; in this case the EFCA)
2. Understand that every credential is the property of the EFCA and is given to a candidate “in trust”.
3. Understand that three entities will be involved in your credentialing process.
– The Local Church affirms the call and character of the candidate
– The District Board of Ministerial Standing examines the theological health and
proficiency of the candidate.
– The National Board of Ministerial Stranding verifies the local and district
recommendations and issues the credential.